Register of Deeds Transfer Tax
Exemptions to Real Estate Transfer Tax
Act #134 of 1966, as amended. MCL 207.505 Sec. 5. The following instruments and transfers shall be exempt from this ad:
- Instruments where the value of the consideration is less than $100.00.
- Instruments evidencing contracts or transfers which are not to be performed wholly within this state insofar as such instruments include land lying outside of this state.
- Written instruments which this state is prohibited from taxing under the constitution or statutes of the United States.
- Instruments or writings given as security or any assignment or discharge thereof.
- Instruments evidencing leases, including oil and gas leases, or transfers of such leasehold interests.
- Instruments evidencing any interests which are assessable as personal property.
- Instruments evidencing the transfer of rights and interests for underground gas storage purposes.
- Instruments (i) in which the grantor is the United States, the state, any political subdivision or municipality thereof’, or officer thereof acting in his official capacity: (ii) given in foreclosure or in lieu of foreclosure of a loan made, guaranteed or insured by the United States, the state, any political subdivision or municipality thereof or officer thereof acting in his official capacity; (iii) given to the United States, the state, or 1 of their officers as grantee, pursuant to the terms or guarantee or insurance of a loan guaranteed or insured by the grantee.
- Conveyances from a husband or wife or husband and wife creating or disjoining a tenancy by the entireties in the grantors or the grantor and his or her spouse.
- Judgements or orders of courts of record making or ordering transfers. except where a specific monetary consideration is specified or ordered by the court therefor.
- (k) Instruments used to straighten boundary lines where no monetary consideration is given.
- Instruments to confirm titles already vested in grantees, such as quitclaim deeds to correct flaws in titles.
- Land contracts whereby the legal title does not pass to the grantee until the total consideration specified in the contract has been paid.
- Instruments evidencing the transfer of mineral rights and interests.
- Instruments creating a joint tenancy between 2 or more persons where at least 1 of the persons already owned the property.