Register of Deeds Recording Requirements
SPECIAL NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO RECORD DOCUMENTS IN PERSON; DOCUMENTS WITH APPROPRIATE RECORDING FEES MAY BE SUBMITTED FOR RECORDING BY MAIL, UPS, OR FED EX.
- Signatures must be original; and names must be typed or printed beneath signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (a)
- No discrepancy shall exist between names printed in the notary acknowledgment and as printed beneath signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(b)
- Instruments conveying or mortgaging property shall state the marital status of all male grantors/mortgagors. MCLA 565.221
- The address of the grantees in each deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate shall contain the street number address or post office address. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(d)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201a
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan require an acknowledgment by a judge, clerk of a court of record or a notary public within this state. MCLA 565.8; 565.47 form: MCLA 565.265; 565.267
- A certified copy of the death certificate or proof of death must be recorded or have been recorded and referenced by Liber and Page on said document when “survivor” is indicated on the document. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court. MCLA565.401, 565.411
- The document submitted for recording must be legible. MCLA565.201 Sec. 1 (f) (iv).
- Documents must have a margin of unprinted space at least 2 1/2 inches at the top of the first page and at least 1/2 inch on all remaining sides of each page. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f) (i)
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page, a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(ii); 565.201 Sec.3
- The type on the form must be printed with black ink; type size at least 10-point type. MCLA 565.201 Sec. I (f)(iii)(iv)
- The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less than 20-pound weight. MC1 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(iv)
- The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be at least 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches; at most 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(v)(vi)
- Unless specifically allowed by state or federal law, rule, regulation, or court order or rule, certain documents will not be accepted for recording if all or more than 4 sequential digits of the social security number appear in the instrument.